The Catherine Wheel
By Jean Stafford
Original Publisher: Harcourt, Brace & Co.
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Isabel Bolton for Many Mansions
- H.L. Davis for Winds of Morning
- Thomas Gallagher for The Gathering Darkness
- Ernest Hemingway for The Old Man and the Sea
- Carl Jonas for Jefferson Selleck
- Peter Martin for The Landsmen
- May Sarton for A Shower of Summer Days
- Jean Stafford for The Catherine Wheel
- John Steinbeck for East of Eden
- William Carlos Williams for The Build-Up
Fiction Winner That Year: Ralph Ellison for Invisible Man
Fiction Judges That Year: Saul Bellow, Martha Foley, Irving Howe, Howard Mumford Jones, Alfred Kazin
The Year in Literature:
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Winston Churchill won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- Stafford was married to the poet Robert Lowell, Winner of the NBA for Poetry in 1960.
- Stafford was a Fiction Finalist again in 1970 for her Collected Stories, which also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction that year.