By John Sayles
Original Publisher: Little Brown
Current Publisher: Nation Books
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Robert Coover for The Public Burning
- Peter De Vries for Madder Music
- James Alan McPherson for Elbow Room
- John Sayles for Union Dues
Fiction Winner That Year: Mary Lee Settle for Blood Tie
Fiction Judges That Year: Vance Bourjaily, Maureen Howard, Robert Kirsch
The Year in Literature:
- Elbow Room by James Alan McPherson won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Isaac Bashevis Singer won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- Most of Sayles’ body of work is in film. He has written or written/directed more than thirty films, including “Enormous Changes at the Last Minute” (1983), based on Grace Paley’s NBA-nominated book.
- Sayles’ most recent novel, A Moment in the Sun, was published by McSweeney’s in 2011.