By Peter De Vries
Original Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Robert Coover for The Public Burning
- Peter De Vries for Madder Music
- James Alan McPherson for Elbow Room
- John Sayles for Union Dues
Fiction Winner That Year: Mary Lee Settle for Blood Tie
Fiction Judges That Year: Vance Bourjaily, Maureen Howard, Robert Kirsch
The Year in Literature:
- Elbow Room by James Alan McPherson won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Isaac Bashevis Singer won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- De Vries was a prolific writer, publishing more than twenty novels and numerous short stories, poems, essays, and reviews in his lifetime. He also worked at The New Yorker from 1944 to 1987.
- Several of De Vries’ novels were adapted to film, including The Tunnel of Love, which was made into a 1958 film of the same title directed by Gene Kelly and starring Doris Day.