Look at the Harlequins!
By Vladimir Nabokov
Original Publisher: McGraw-Hill Book Company
Current Publisher: Vintage
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Donald Barthelme for Guilty Pleasures
- Gail Godwin for The Odd Woman
- Joseph Heller for Something Happened
- Toni Morrison for Sula
- Vladimir Nabokov for Look at the Harlequins!
- Grace Paley for Enormous Changes at the Last Minute
- Philip Roth for My Life as a Man
- Mark Smith for The Death of a Detective
Fiction Winner That Year: Thomas Williams for The Hair of Harold Roux
Fiction Judges That Year: Stanley Elkin, Elizabeth Hardwick, Richard Locke
The Year in Literature:
- The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Eugenio Montale won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Nabokov never won the National Book Award, but he was a Fiction Finalist six other times: in 1958 for Pnin, in 1959 for Lolita, in 1963 for Pale Fire, in 1965 for The Defense, in 1973 for Transparent Things, and in 1976 for Tyrants Destroyed and Other Stories.