State of Grace
By Joy Williams
Original Publisher: Doubleday
Current Publisher: Vintage
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Doris Betts for Beasts of the Southern Wild and Other Stories
- John Cheever for The World of Apples
- Ellen Douglas for Apostles of Light
- Stanley Elkin for Searches and Seizures
- John Gardner for Nickel Mountain
- John Leonard for Black Conceit
- Thomas McGuane for Ninety-Two in the Shade
- Wilfrid Sheed for People Will Always Be Kind
- Gore Vidal for Burr
- Joy Williams for State of Grace
Fiction Judges That Year: Donald Barthelme, James Boatwright, Truman Capote, Timothy G. Foote, Cynthia Ozick
The Year in Literature:
- The Pulitzer Prize was not given for fiction.
- Eyvind Johnson and Harry Martinson won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Williams is the author of four novels, including The Changeling (1979), Breaking and Entering (1988), and The Quick and the Dead (2000), as well as three story collections and two nonfiction works.