By Gore Vidal
Original Publisher: Bantam
Current Publisher: Vintage
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Doris Betts for Beasts of the Southern Wild and Other Stories
- John Cheever for The World of Apples
- Ellen Douglas for Apostles of Light
- Stanley Elkin for Searches and Seizures
- John Gardner for Nickel Mountain
- John Leonard for Black Conceit
- Thomas McGuane for Ninety-Two in the Shade
- Wilfrid Sheed for People Will Always Be Kind
- Gore Vidal for Burr
- Joy Williams for State of Grace
Fiction Judges That Year: Donald Barthelme, James Boatwright, Truman Capote, Timothy G. Foote, Cynthia Ozick
The Year in Literature:
- The Pulitzer Prize was not given for fiction.
- Eyvind Johnson and Harry Martinson won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Vidal won the National Book Award for Nonfiction in 1993 for United States: Essays 1952-1992 and was a Finalist once previously, in 1970 in the Arts and Letters category for Reflections Upon a Sinking Ship. Vidal also received the National Book Foundation’s Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters in 2009.