By John Leonard
Original Publisher: Doubleday
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Doris Betts for Beasts of the Southern Wild and Other Stories
- John Cheever for The World of Apples
- Ellen Douglas for Apostles of Light
- Stanley Elkin for Searches and Seizures
- John Gardner for Nickel Mountain
- John Leonard for Black Conceit
- Thomas McGuane for Ninety-Two in the Shade
- Wilfrid Sheed for People Will Always Be Kind
- Gore Vidal for Burr
- Joy Williams for State of Grace
Fiction Judges That Year: Donald Barthelme, James Boatwright, Truman Capote, Timothy G. Foote, Cynthia Ozick
The Year in Literature:
- The Pulitzer Prize was not given for fiction.
- Eyvind Johnson and Harry Martinson won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: William F. Buckley gave Leonard his first job in journalism at National Review magazine in 1959.
Leonard worked for many years as a literary, television, film, and cultural critic for nearly all of the major newspapers and magazines. He also published numerous novels, essay collections, and nonfiction works.