The World of Apples
By John Cheever
Original Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Doris Betts for Beasts of the Southern Wild and Other Stories
- John Cheever for The World of Apples
- Ellen Douglas for Apostles of Light
- Stanley Elkin for Searches and Seizures
- John Gardner for Nickel Mountain
- John Leonard for Black Conceit
- Thomas McGuane for Ninety-Two in the Shade
- Wilfrid Sheed for People Will Always Be Kind
- Gore Vidal for Burr
- Joy Williams for State of Grace
Fiction Judges That Year: Donald Barthelme, James Boatwright, Truman Capote, Timothy G. Foote, Cynthia Ozick
The Year in Literature:
- The Pulitzer Prize was not given for fiction.
- Eyvind Johnson and Harry Martinson won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Cheever won the National Book Award for Fiction twice: in 1958 for The Wapshot Chronicle and in 1981 for The Stories of John Cheever (paperback). He was also a Fiction Finalist for the hardcover edition of Stories in 1979.