Love in the Ruins
By Walker Percy
Original Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Current Publisher: Picador; Open Road Integrated Media (ebook)
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Frederick Buechner for Lion Country
- E.L. Doctorow for The Book of Daniel
- Stanley Elkin for The Dick Gibson Show
- Tom McHale for Farragan’s Retreat
- Joyce Carol Oates for Wonderland
- Cynthia Ozick for The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories
- Walker Percy for Love in the Ruins
- Earl Thompson for A Garden of Sand
- John Updike for Rabbit Redux
Fiction Winner That Year: Flannery O’Connor for The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
Fiction Judges That Year: Joan Didion, Martha Duffy, Joseph Heller, Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, L. Woiwode
The Year in Literature:
- Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Heinrich Böll won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Percy won the National Book Award for Fiction in 1962 for The Moviegoer. He was also a Fiction Finalist three other times: in 1967 for The Last Gentleman and in 1981 and 1982 for The Second Coming (hardcover and paperback).