The Book of Daniel
By E.L. Doctrow
Original and Current Publisher: Random House
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Frederick Buechner for Lion Country
- E.L. Doctorow for The Book of Daniel
- Stanley Elkin for The Dick Gibson Show
- Tom McHale for Farragan’s Retreat
- Joyce Carol Oates for Wonderland
- Cynthia Ozick for The Pagan Rabbi and Other Stories
- Walker Percy for Love in the Ruins
- Earl Thompson for A Garden of Sand
- John Updike for Rabbit Redux
Fiction Winner That Year: Flannery O’Connor for The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
Fiction Judges That Year: Joan Didion, Martha Duffy, Joseph Heller, Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, L. Woiwode
The Year in Literature:
- Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Heinrich Böll won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: E.L. Doctrow won the National Book Award for Fiction in 1986 for World’s Fair. He was also a Fiction Finalist three more times: in 1982 for Loon Lake, in 1989 for Billy Bathgate, and in 2005 for The March.