The Pursuit of Happiness
By Thomas Rogers
Original Publisher: The New American Library
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- John Barth for Lost in the Funhouse
- Frederick Exley for A Fan's Notes
- Joyce Carol Oates for Expensive People
- Thomas Rogers for The Pursuit of Happiness
Fiction Winner That Year: Jerzy Kosinki for Steps
Fiction Judges That Year: Irving Howe, Jerre Mangione, Wright Morris
The Year in Literature:
- House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Samuel Beckett won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- Rogers was a Fiction Finalist once more, in 1973 for The Confessions of a Child of the Century.
- The Pursuit of Happiness was made into a 1971 film of the same title directed by Robert Mulligan and starring Michael Sarrazin and Barbara Hershey.