By Louis Auchincloss
Original Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Current Publisher: Transaction Large Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Louis Auchincloss for The Embezzler
- Edwin O'Connor for All in the Family
- Walker Percy for The Last Gentleman
- Harry Petrakis for A Dream of Kings
- Wilfrid Sheed for Office Politics
Fiction Winner That Year: Bernard Malamud for The Fixer
Fiction Judges That Year: John K. Hutchens, Mark Schorer, Anthony West
The Year in Literature:
- The Fixer by the Bernard Malamud also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Miguel Ángel Asturias won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Auchincloss was a Fiction Finalist three other times: in 1960 for Pursuit of the Prodigal, in 1961 for The House of Five Talents, and in 1965 for The Rector of Justin.