The Last Gentleman
By Walker Percy
Original Publisher: Picador
Current Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux; Open Road Integrated Media (ebook)
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Louis Auchincloss for The Embezzler
- Edwin O'Connor for All in the Family
- Walker Percy for The Last Gentleman
- Harry Petrakis for A Dream of Kings
- Wilfrid Sheed for Office Politics
Fiction Winner That Year: Bernard Malamud for The Fixer
Fiction Judges That Year: John K. Hutchens, Mark Schorer, Anthony West
The Year in Literature:
- The Fixer by the Bernard Malamud also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Miguel Ángel Asturias won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Percy won the National Book Award for Fiction in 1962 for The Moviegoer. He was also a Fiction Finalist three more times: in 1972 for Love in the Ruins and in 1981 and 1982 for The Second Coming (hardcover and paperback).