Everything that Rises Must Converge
By Flannery O’Connor
Original and Current Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Jesse Hill Ford for The Liberation of Lord Byron Jones
- Peter Matthiessen for At Play in the Fields of the Lord
- James Merrill for The (Diblos) Notebook
- Flannery O'Connor for Everything that Rises Must Converge
- Harry Petrakis for Pericles on 31st Street
Fiction Winner That Year: Katherine Anne Porter for The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter
Fiction Judges That Year: Paul Horgan, J.F. Powers, Glenway Wescott
The Year in Literature:
- The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Shmuel Agnon and Nelly Sachs won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: O’Connor won the National Book Award in 1972 for her Complete Stories and was a Fiction Finalist two other times: in 1956 for A Good Man Is Hard to Find and in 1961 for The Violent Bear It Away.