The (Diblos) Notebook
By James Merrill
Original Publisher: Atheneum
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Jesse Hill Ford for The Liberation of Lord Byron Jones
- Peter Matthiessen for At Play in the Fields of the Lord
- James Merrill for The (Diblos) Notebook
- Flannery O'Connor for Everything that Rises Must Converge
- Harry Petrakis for Pericles on 31st Street
Fiction Winner That Year: Katherine Anne Porter for The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter
Fiction Judges That Year: Paul Horgan, J.F. Powers, Glenway Wescott
The Year in Literature:
- The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Shmuel Agnon and Nelly Sachs won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Merrill won the National Book Award for Poetry twice: in 1967 for Nights and Days and in 1979 for Mirabell: Books of Number. He was also a Poetry Finalist in 1973 for Braving the Elements. This was his only Fiction nomination.