At Play in the Fields of the Lord
By Peter Matthiessen
Original Publisher: Random House
Current Publisher: Vintage
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Jesse Hill Ford for The Liberation of Lord Byron Jones
- Peter Matthiessen for At Play in the Fields of the Lord
- James Merrill for The (Diblos) Notebook
- Flannery O'Connor for Everything that Rises Must Converge
- Harry Petrakis for Pericles on 31st Street
Fiction Winner That Year: Katherine Anne Porter for The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter
Fiction Judges That Year: Paul Horgan, J.F. Powers, Glenway Wescott
The Year in Literature:
- The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Shmuel Agnon and Nelly Sachs won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Matthiessen won the National Book Award three times: in 1979 and 1980 for The Snow Leopard, and in 2008 for Shadow Country. He was also a Finalist in 1973 with Eliot Porter for The Tree Where Man Was Born/The African Experience.