By Vladimir Nabokov
Original Publisher: Putnam
Current Publisher: Vintage
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Louis Auchincloss for The Rector of Justin
- John Hawkes for Second Skin
- Richard Kim for The Martyred
- Wallace Markfield for To an Early Grave
- Vladimir Nabokov for The Defense
- Isaac Bashevis Singer for Short Friday
Fiction Winner That Year: Saul Bellow for Herzog
Fiction Judges That Year: Richard Gilman, R.W.B. Lewis, Bernard Malamud
The Year in Literature:
- The Keepers of the House by Shirley Ann Grau won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Mikhail Sholokhov won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Nabokov never won the National Book Award, but he was a Fiction Finalist six other times: in 1958 for Pnin, in 1959 for Lolita, in 1963 for Pale Fire, in 1973 for Transparent Things, in 1975 for Look at the Harlequins!, and in 1976 for Tyrants Destroyed and Other Stories.