By Harvey Swados
Original Publisher: World Publishing Co.
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Bernard Malamud for Idiots First
- Mary McCarthy for The Group
- Thomas Pynchon for V.
- Harvey Swados for The Will
Fiction Winner That Year: John Updike for The Centaur
Fiction Judges That Year: John Cheever, Robie Macauley, Philip Rahv
The Year in Literature:
- The Pulitzer Prize was not given for fiction.
- Jean-Paul Sartre won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Swados’ first publication was a short story, “The Amateurs,” written when he was only sixteen years old. It was published in Contemporary, the literary quarterly at the University of Michigan, where Swados was a student, and later reprinted in The Best Short Stories of 1938, where it appeared alongside stories by John Cheever, John Steinbeck, Robert Penn Warren, and Eudora Welty.