By Vladimir Nabokov
Original Publisher: G.P. Putnam’s Sons
Current Publisher: Everyman’s Library
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Vladimir Nabokov for Pale Fire
- Katherine Anne Porter for Ship of Fools
- Dawn Powell for The Golden Spur
- Clancy Sigal for Going Away
- John Updike for Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories
Fiction Winner That Year: J.F. Powers for Morte D’Urban
Fiction Judges That Year: Elizabeth Hardwick, Harry Levin, Gore Vidal
The Year in Literature:
- The Reivers by William Faulkner won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Giorgos Seferis won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Nabokov never won the National Book Award, but he was a Fiction Finalist six more times: in 1958 for Pnin, in 1959 for Lolita, in 1965 for The Defense, in 1973 for Transparent Things, in 1975 for Look at the Harlequins!, and in 1976 for Tyrants Destroyed and Other Stories.