By Clancy Sigal
Original Publisher: Houghton Mifflin, Inc.
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Vladimir Nabokov for Pale Fire
- Katherine Anne Porter for Ship of Fools
- Dawn Powell for The Golden Spur
- Clancy Sigal for Going Away
- John Updike for Pigeon Feathers and Other Stories
Fiction Winner That Year: J.F. Powers for Morte D’Urban
Fiction Judges That Year: Elizabeth Hardwick, Harry Levin, Gore Vidal
The Year in Literature:
- The Reivers by William Faulkner won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Giorgos Seferis won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Sigal was the principal screenwriter for the 2002 film “Frida” about Mexican painter Frida Kahlo.