By Hortense Calisher
Original Publisher: Little, Brown
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Hortense Calisher for False Entry
- George P. Elliott for Among the Dangs
- Joseph Heller for Catch-22
- Bernard Malamud for A New Life
- William Maxwell for The Chateau
- J.D. Salinger for Franny and Zooey
- Isaac Bashevis Singer for The Spinoza of Market Street
- Edward Lewis Wallant for The Pawnbroker
- Joan Williams for The Morning and the Evening
- Richard Yates for Revolutionary Road
Fiction Winner That Year: Walker Percy for The Moviegoer
Fiction Judges That Year: Lewis Gannett, Herbert Gold, Jean Stafford
The Year in Literature:
- The Edge of Sadness by Edwin O'Connor won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- John Steinbeck won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Calisher was a Finalist twice more: in 1973 for Herself (Biography) and in 1976 for her Collected Stories (Fiction).