The Christening Party
By Francis Steegmuller
Original Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Cudahy
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Louis Auchincloss for The House of Five Talents
- Kay Boyle for Generation Without Farewell
- John Hersey for The Child Buyer
- John Knowles for A Separate Peace
- Harper Lee for To Kill a Mockingbird
- Wright Morris for Ceremony in Lone Tree
- Flannery O'Connor for The Violent Bear It Away
- Elizabeth Spencer for The Light in the Piazza
- Francis Steegmuller for The Christening Party
- John Updike for Rabbit, Run
- Mildred Walker for The Body of a Young Man
Fiction Winner That Year: Conrad Richter for The Waters of Kronos
Fiction Judges That Year: B.J. Chute, Robert M. Coates, Arthur Mizener
The Year in Literature:
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Ivo Andric won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Steegmuller won the National Book Award in 1971 for Cocteau: A Biography (Arts and Letters) and again in 1981 for The Letters of Gustave Flaubert (Translation). He was also a Finalist two more times: in 1964 for Apollinaire (Nonfiction) and in 1975 for “Your Isadora” (Biography).