Ceremony in Lone Tree
By Wright Morris
Original Publisher: Atheneum
Current Publisher: Bison Books
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Louis Auchincloss for The House of Five Talents
- Kay Boyle for Generation Without Farewell
- John Hersey for The Child Buyer
- John Knowles for A Separate Peace
- Harper Lee for To Kill a Mockingbird
- Wright Morris for Ceremony in Lone Tree
- Flannery O'Connor for The Violent Bear It Away
- Elizabeth Spencer for The Light in the Piazza
- Francis Steegmuller for The Christening Party
- John Updike for Rabbit, Run
- Mildred Walker for The Body of a Young Man
Fiction Winner That Year: Conrad Richter for The Waters of Kronos
Fiction Judges That Year: B.J. Chute, Robert M. Coates, Arthur Mizener
The Year in Literature:
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Ivo Andric won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Morris won the National Book Award in 1957 for The Field of Vision and again in 1981 for Plains Song. He was also a Fiction Finalist two more times: in 1955 for The Huge Season and in 1958 for Love Among the Cannibals.