By Ayn Rand
Original Publisher: Random House
Current Publisher: Plume
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- James Agee for A Death in the Family
- James Gould Cozzens for By Love Possessed
- Mark Harris for Something About a Soldier
- Andrew Lytle for The Velvet Horn
- Bernard Malamud for The Assistant
- Wright Morris for Love Among the Cannibals
- Vladimir Nabokov for Pnin
- Ayn Rand for Atlas Shrugged
- Nancy Wilson Ross for The Return of Lady Brace
- May Sarton for The Birth of a Grandfather
Fiction Winner That Year: John Cheever for The Wapshot Chronicle
Fiction Judges That Year: Van Wyck Brooks, Albert J. Guerard, Mrs. William W. Johnson, William Maxwell, Francis Steegmuller
The Year in Literature:
- A Death in the Family by the late James Agee also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Boris Pasternak won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Atlas Shrugged was Rand’s fourth and final novel. At more than 1,000 pages, it was also her longest.