The Voice at the Back Door
By Elizabeth Spencer
Original Publisher: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc.
Current Publisher: Louisiana State University Press
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Nelson Algren for A Walk on the Wild Side
- James Baldwin for Giovanni's Room
- Saul Bellow for Seize the Day
- B.J. Chute for Greenwillow
- A.B. Guthrie for These Thousand Hills
- John Hersey for A Single Pebble
- John Hunt for Generations of Men
- Edwin O'Connor for The Last Hurrah
- J.F. Powers for The Presence of Grace
- Elizabeth Spencer for The Voice at the Back Door
- James Thurber for Further Fables for Our Time
Fiction Winner That Year: Wright Morris for The Field of Vision
Fiction Judges That Year: Robert Gorham Davis, Leslie Fiedler, Oliver LaFarge, W.G. Rogers, Peter Taylor
The Year in Literature:
- The Pulitzer Prize was not given for fiction.
- Albert Camus won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: In 1957, the Pulitzer Prize fiction jury recommended that Spencer be awarded the prize for The Voice at the Back Door, but the Pulitzer board did not announce a winner that year.