These Thousand Hills
By A.B. Guthrie, Jr.
Original Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Current Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Nelson Algren for A Walk on the Wild Side
- James Baldwin for Giovanni's Room
- Saul Bellow for Seize the Day
- B.J. Chute for Greenwillow
- A.B. Guthrie for These Thousand Hills
- John Hersey for A Single Pebble
- John Hunt for Generations of Men
- Edwin O'Connor for The Last Hurrah
- J.F. Powers for The Presence of Grace
- Elizabeth Spencer for The Voice at the Back Door
- James Thurber for Further Fables for Our Time
Fiction Winner That Year: Wright Morris for The Field of Vision
Fiction Judges That Year: Robert Gorham Davis, Leslie Fiedler, Oliver LaFarge, W.G. Rogers, Peter Taylor
The Year in Literature:
- The Pulitzer Prize was not given for fiction.
- Albert Camus won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- Guthrie was born Alfred Bertram Guthrie, Jr. but preferred to be called Bud.
- Guthrie won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction for his novel The Way West in 1950.