The Spider’s House
By Paul Bowles
Original Publisher: Random House
Current Publisher: Harper Perennial
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Paul Bowles for The Spider’s House
- Shirley Ann Grau for The Black Prince
- MacKinlay Kantor for Andersonville
- Flannery O'Connor for A Good Man Is Hard to Find
- May Sarton for Faithful Are the Wounds
- Robert Penn Warren for Band of Angels
- Eudora Welty for The Bride of the Innisfallen
- Herman Wouk for Marjorie Morningstar
Fiction Winner That Year: John O’Hara for Ten North Frederick
Fiction Judges That Year: Carlos Baker, John Brooks, Granville Hicks, Saunders Redding, Mark Schorer
The Year in Literature:
- Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Juan Ramón Jiménez won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Bowles was a novelist, short story writer, poet, and translator, as well as a prolific composer who wrote music for numerous plays, operas, and ballets.