Faithful Are the Wounds
By May Sarton
Original Publisher: Rinehart & Company, Inc.
Current Publisher: W.W. Norton & Company
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Paul Bowles for The Spider’s House
- Shirley Ann Grau for The Black Prince
- MacKinlay Kantor for Andersonville
- Flannery O'Connor for A Good Man Is Hard to Find
- May Sarton for Faithful Are the Wounds
- Robert Penn Warren for Band of Angels
- Eudora Welty for The Bride of the Innisfallen
- Herman Wouk for Marjorie Morningstar
Fiction Winner That Year: John O’Hara for Ten North Frederick
Fiction Judges That Year: Carlos Baker, John Brooks, Granville Hicks, Saunders Redding, Mark Schorer
The Year in Literature:
- Andersonville by MacKinlay Kantor won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Juan Ramón Jiménez won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Sarton was a Finalist three other times: in 1953 for A Shower of Summer Days (Fiction) and twice in 1958 for The Birth of a Grandfather (Fiction) and In Time Like Air (Poetry).