The Last Hunt
By Milton Lott
Original Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Harriette Arnow for The Dollmaker
- Hamilton Basso for The View from Pompey's Head
- Davis Grubb for The Night of the Hunter
- Randall Jarrell for Pictures from an Institution
- Milton Lott for The Last Hunt
- Frederick Manfred for Lord Grizzly
- William March for The Bad Seed
- Wright Morris for The Huge Season
- Frank Rooney for The Courts of Memory
- John Steinbeck for Sweet Thursday
Fiction Winner That Year: William Faulkner for A Fable
Fiction Judges That Year: Malcolm Cowley, Paul Engle, Elizabeth Janeway, Wallace Stegner, Robert Penn Warren
The Year in Literature:
- A Fable also won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Halldór Laxness won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- This was Lott’s first of three novels.
- The Last Hunt was made into a 1956 film of the same title directed by Richard Brooks and starring Robert Taylor and Stewart Granger.