By René Steinke
Original Publisher: William Morrow
Current Publisher: Harper Perennial
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- E.L. Doctorow for The March
- Mary Gaitskill for Veronica
- Christopher Sorrentino for Trance
- René Steinke for Holy Skirts
Fiction Winner That Year: William T. Vollmann for Europe Central
Fiction Judges That Year: Andre Dubus III, Rikki Ducornet, Cristina García, Tom LeClair, Anna Quindlen
The Year in Literature:
- Gilead by Marilynne Robinson won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Harold Pinter won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Holy Skirts is a novel based on the life of the Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven, a German-born artist and poet who lived for several years in New York City’s Greenwich Village.
Buy the Book: