By Christopher Sorrentino
Original Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Current Publisher: Picador
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- E.L. Doctorow for The March
- Mary Gaitskill for Veronica
- Christopher Sorrentino for Trance
- René Steinke for Holy Skirts
Fiction Winner That Year: William T. Vollmann for Europe Central
Fiction Judges That Year: Andre Dubus III, Rikki Ducornet, Cristina García, Tom LeClair, Anna Quindlen
The Year in Literature:
- Gilead by Marilynne Robinson won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Harold Pinter won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Trance is a fictionalized version of the story of Patty Hearst, granddaughter of publishing mogul William Randolph Hearst. After being kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army (SLA) in 1974, she joined her captors in their cause and was later imprisoned for taking part in a bank robbery with other SLA members.
Buy the Book: