By T.C. Boyle
Original Publisher: Viking
Current Publisher: Penguin
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- T.C. Boyle for Drop City
- Edward P. Jones for The Known World
- Scott Spencer for A Ship Made of Paper
- Marianne Wiggins for Evidence of Things Unseen
Fiction Winner That Year: Shirley Hazzard for The Great Fire
Fiction Judges That Year: Antonya Nelson, Alice Elliot Dark, Peter Cameron, Jay Parini, Jean Thompson
The Year in Literature:
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- J. M. Coetzee won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- Boyle won the Pen/Faulkner Award in 1988 for his third novel, World’s End.
- Boyle’s novel The Road to Wellville was made into a 1994 film of the same title directed by Alan Parker and starring Anthony Hopkins, Bridget Fonda, and Matthew Broderick.