By Mark Costello
Original Publisher: W.W. Norton & Co.
Current Publisher: Atlantic Books
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Mark Costello for Big If
- Adam Haslett for You Are Not a Stranger Here
- Martha McPhee for Gorgeous Lies
- Brad Watson for The Heaven of Mercury
Fiction Winner That Year: Julia Glass for Three Junes
Fiction Judges That Year: Bob Shacochis, Adrienne Brodeur, David Wong Louie, Jay McInerney, Jacquelyn Mitchard
The Year in Literature:
- Empire Falls by Richard Russo won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Imre Kertész won the Nobel Prize for literature.
- Costello’s first novel, Bag Men, was published in 1997 under the pseudonym John Flood. Costello used the pseudonym in order to distance his writing life from his career as a federal prosecutor in New Jersey.
- Costello used his real name on his first book, Signifying Rappers: Rap and Race in the Urban Present, which he co-wrote with David Foster Wallace in 1990.