By Joyce Carol Oates
Original and Current Publisher: Ecco Press
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Charles Baxter for The Feast of Love
- Alan Lightman for The Diagnosis
- Joyce Carol Oates for Blonde
- Francine Prose for Blue Angel
Fiction Winner That Year: Susan Sontag for In America
Fiction Judges That Year: Ron Hansen, Breena Clarke, Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, David Guterson, A.M. Homes
The Year in Literature:
- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Gao Xingjian won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Oates won the National Book Award for Fiction in 1970 for them. She was also a Fiction Finalist four other times: in 1968 for A Garden of Earthly Delights, in 1969 for Expensive People, in 1972 for Wonderland, and in 1990 for Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is My Heart.