A Man in Full
By Tom Wolfe
Original Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Current Publisher: Bantam Books
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Allegra Goodman for Kaaterskill Falls
- Gayl Jones for The Healing
- Robert Stone for Damascus Gate
- Tom Wolfe for A Man in Full
Fiction Winner That Year: Alice McDermott for Charming Billy
Fiction Judges That Year: Thomas Mallon, Fernanda Eberstadt, Lois Rosenthal, Ursula Hegi, Rafael Yglesias
The Year in Literature:
- American Pastoral by Philip Roth won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- José Saramago won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Wolfe won the National Book Award for General Nonfiction in 1980 for The Right Stuff and was a Finalist in the Contemporary Affairs category in 1972 for Radical Chic: Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers. In 2010, Wolfe received the National Book Foundation’s Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.