By Robert Stone
Original Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Current Publisher: Touchstone
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Allegra Goodman for Kaaterskill Falls
- Gayl Jones for The Healing
- Robert Stone for Damascus Gate
- Tom Wolfe for A Man in Full
Fiction Winner That Year: Alice McDermott for Charming Billy
Fiction Judges That Year: Thomas Mallon, Fernanda Eberstadt, Lois Rosenthal, Ursula Hegi, Rafael Yglesias
The Year in Literature:
- American Pastoral by Philip Roth won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- José Saramago won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Stone won the National Book Award for Fiction in 1975 for Dog Soldiers. He was also a Fiction Finalist three other times: in 1982 and 1983 for A Flag for Sunrise (hardcover and paperback), and in 1992 for Outerbridge Reach.