By Diane Johnson
Original and Current Publisher: Plume
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Don DeLillo for Underworld
- Diane Johnson for Le Divorce
- Ward Just for Echo House
- Cynthia Ozick for The Puttermesser Papers
Fiction Winner That Year: Charles Frazier for Cold Mountain
Fiction Judges That Year: Nicholas Delbanco, Percival Everett, William Kittredge, Alison Lurie, Carol De Chellis Hill
The Year in Literature:
- Martin Dressler: The Tale of an American Dreamer by Steven Millhauser won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Dario Fo won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Johnson was a Finalist twice previously: in 1973 for Lesser Lives (Biography) and in 1979 for Lying Low (Fiction).