The House on the Lagoon
By Rosario Ferré
Original and Current Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
- Madison Smartt Bell for All Souls Rising
- Edwidge Danticat for Krik? Krak!
- Stephen Dixon for Interstate
- Rosario Ferré for The House on the Lagoon
Fiction Winner That Year: Philip Roth for Sabbath’s Theater
Fiction Judges That Year: Erica Jong, Michael Malone, Colleen McElroy, Thomas McGuane, Mark Richard
The Year in Literature:
- The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Seamus Heaney won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Ferré was born in Ponce, Puerto Rico in 1938. Her father, Luis A. Ferré, was the third elected Governor of Puerto Rico, and the founder of the New Progressive Party.