By Ellen Currie
Original Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- Ellen Currie for Moses Supposes
- Richard Dooling for White Man's Grave
- Howard Norman for The Bird Artist
- Grace Paley for The Collected Stories
Fiction Winner That Year: William Gaddis for A Frolic of His Own
Fiction Judges That Year: Timothy Foote, Amy Hempel, Susanna Kaysen, John Casey, Randall Kenan
The Year in Literature:
- The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Kenzaburo Oe won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Moses Supposes was Curie’s first collection of short stories. Her first and only novel is Available Light (1986).