By Robert Stone
Original Publisher: Ticknor & Fields
Current Publisher: Mariner Books
- Dorothy Allison for Bastard Out of Carolina
- Cristina García for Dreaming in Cuban
- Edward P. Jones for Lost in the City
- Robert Stone for Outerbridge Reach
Fiction Winner That Year: Cormac McCarthy for All the Pretty Horses
Fiction Judges That Year: Leonard Michaels, Toni Cade Bambara, Philip Caputo, John Leonard, Joy Williams
The Year in Literature:
- A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Derek Walcott won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Stone won the National Book Award for Fiction in 1975 for Dog Soldiers. He was also a Fiction Finalist three other times: in 1982 and 1983 for A Flag for Sunrise (hardcover and paperback), and in 1998 for Damascus Gate.