Lost in the City
By Edward P. Jones
Original Publisher: William Morrow & Co.
Current Publisher: Amistad
- Dorothy Allison for Bastard Out of Carolina
- Cristina García for Dreaming in Cuban
- Edward P. Jones for Lost in the City
- Robert Stone for Outerbridge Reach
Fiction Winner That Year: Cormac McCarthy for All the Pretty Horses
Fiction Judges That Year: Leonard Michaels, Toni Cade Bambara, Philip Caputo, John Leonard, Joy Williams
The Year in Literature:
- A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Derek Walcott won the Nobel Prize for literature.
Most Information: Lost in the City, a collection of short stories about the African-American working class in 20th-century Washington, DC, was Jones’ first book. His second book, The Known World, won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 2004.