Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is My Heart
By Joyce Carol Oates
Original Publisher: Dutton
Current Publisher: Plume
- Felipe Alfau for Chromos
- Elena Castedo for Paradise
- Jessica Hagedorn for Dogeaters
- Joyce Carol Oates for Because It Is Bitter, and Because It Is My Heart
Fiction Winner That Year: Charles Johnson for Middle Passage
Fiction Judges That Year: William Gass, Phillip Lopate, Terry McMillan, Paul West
The Year in Literature:
- The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love by Oscar Hijuelos won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Octavio Paz won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Oates won the National Book Award for Fiction in 1970 for them. She was also a Fiction Finalist four other times: in 1968 for A Garden of Earthly Delights, in 1969 for Expensive People, in 1972 for Wonderland, and in 2000 for Blonde.