The Collected Stories
By Eudora Welty
Original Publisher: Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich, Publishers
Current Publisher: Harvest Books
Fiction (Hardcover) Finalists That Year:
- Shirley Hazzard for The Transit of Venus
- William Maxwell for So Long, See You Tomorrow
- Walker Percy for The Second Coming
- Eudora Welty for The Collected Stories
Fiction (Hardcover) Winner That Year: Wright Morris for Plains Song
Fiction Judges That Year: Not Available
The Year in Literature:
- A Confederacy of Dunces by the late John Kennedy Toole won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- Elias Canetti won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: Welty won the National Book Award in the Fiction (Paperback) category for her Collected Stories two years later, in 1983. She was also a Finalist four other times: in 1956 for The Bride of the Innisfallen (Fiction), in 1971 for Losing Battles (Fiction), in 1973 for The Optimist’s Daughter (Fiction), and in 1984 for One Writer’s Beginnings (Nonfiction). Welty received the National Book Foundation’s Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters in 1991.