The Strange Children
By Caroline Gordon
Original Publisher: Scribner
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Fiction Finalists That Year:
- James Agee for The Morning Watch
- Truman Capote for The Grass Harp
- William Faulkner for Requiem for a Nun
- Caroline Gordon for The Strange Children
- Thomas Mann for The Holy Sinner
- John P. Marquand for Melville Goodwin, USA
- J.D. Salinger for The Catcher in the Rye
- William Styron for Lie Down in Darkness
- Jessamyn West for The Witch Diggers
- Herman Wouk for The Caine Mutiny
Fiction Winner That Year: James Jones for From Here to Eternity
Fiction Judges That Year: Robert Gorham Davis, Brendan Gill, Lloyd Morris, Budd Schulberg, Jean Stafford
The Year in Literature:
- The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction.
- François Mauriac won the Nobel Prize for literature.
More Information: In 2001, Dr. Steven Ryan, professor of English at Austin Peay State University, with assistance from John McDonald, artistic director for the Roxy Theatre, adapted The Strange Children for the stage and presented a reading at the Roxy.